Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Daily Dos (Dos Hermanos)

UNM recently made an excellent decision: the addition of Dos Hermanos and Saggio's to the food court of the SUB. As most of you know, I am a slave to UNM's HR department, so this news is quite welcome to me. Now I can trot over to the SUB on my lunch breaks and enjoy something that isn't Sonic or wrapped in cellophane.

To be frank, I haven't always loved Dos Hermanos. In fact, when they first opened, I was not at all impressed and also somewhat horrified to find a mushroom in my enchiladas. Since then, however, Dos Hermanos has grown into a good place for a chile fix...and now I eat there (semi) often.

Dos is very casual and not at all frilly. You place your order at the counter, and they make it fresh right in front of you. This means that you can modify your order quite a bit to result in your perfect burrito/enchilada/whatever. Unfortunately, they seem to run on a weird schedule, and you're therefore limited to ordering perfection for breakfast or lunch. Since Dos Hermanos can be ordered in bulk for parties, you could always order some for dinner, but the taste is not quite the same reheated- unless you order tamales, because those bad boys taste damn good even the next day.

Aside from their tamales, I recommend anything drenched in their green chile, be it enchiladas or a breakfast burrito. I particularly enjoy their enchiladas with chicken and a hint of onion. All of their burritos are huge and overstuffed with your choice of ingredients (I usually go the breakfast route, if only to appease my desire for bacon). They are ideal for hangover curing, and growing boy feeding. If you happen to be a growing boy with a hangover, so much the better.

Dos Hermanos will definitely add a little pep to my midday now that it's in the SUB, but there are other locations around Albuquerque for those of you not on campus. And with cheap, quality food (as opposed to cheap-quality food), what's not to enjoy?

No comments: