Friday, November 14, 2008

More Happy-Hour Magic (Scalo)

I appear to be quite a lush, as many of my blogs seem to be inspired by a good drink I've had at a certain venue. Truth be told, I don't drink that often, but when it's been a particularly long week, the first thing I want to do is imbibe. I already mentioned that I adore a good mojito, and today I'm thinking about the wondrous pomegranate mojito I had at Scalo on Central just west of Carlisle.

Yes, you read right, I'm indeed referencing the Italian restaurant, a place you'd hardly think to order a Spanish drink. But I'm cool like that, and like to mix it up. I'm glad I did, because those drinks are good! You can also order more Italian concoctions such as Limoncello. As an added bonus, Happy Hour on Friday includes free snacks- which include fresh bread, olives, a hot pasta dish that you can help yourself to, and, last time I was there, hard boiled eggs. They are mighty thoughtful at Scalo, and would prefer you not stumble out too wasted.

If you're headed to Scalo looking for a classy dinner, you're at the right spot. As a restaurant, it's a little more upscale than your everyday kind of restaurant, but you do get what you pay for. The food is incredibly flavorful, and the chefs here like to create interesting dishes. Case in point, I recently had their pear pizza with goat cheese, and I had a hard time not licking off the plate. The daily specials are usually where the chefs show off a little- indulge them and try one of the specials. The ingredients tend to be seasonal, and therefore at their peak of freshness. About a month ago, I tried their stuffed squash blossoms and was quite pleased. Speaking of fresh, Scalo makes their own pasta. For those of you who've tried fresh pasta, you know what I'm talking about. For the rest of you who think that pasta comes out dry from a box, this is a taste experience you MUST try. Nothing beats the fresh stuff.

- A brief side note: I just googled Scalo to make sure I was spelling it right...and they have a website. www.scalonobhill.com. I swear, I just drooled a little on my keypad.

In terms of dessert, I have no idea, except that they have a cheese plate. I've never bothered trying anything else, so I really can't say. All I know is that they serve a mean cup of decaf (or, if you prefer, an aperitif), and that cheese makes me insanely happy.

Have a drink or posh dinner special or cheese plate at Scalo, and you'll be insanely happy too.

No comments: